Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dental Phobia: Climbing That Mountain


For some people, they'd rather hang off a sheer cliff than come to the dentist.  Some have had a bad dental experience, yet some just flat out have a fear.  Whatever the cause of your dental anxiety, know that you are not alone.

Statistics estimate 10% of the population suffers from a dental phobia, but we believe the percentage to be much higher.  We get calls daily: "I'm a chicken", "I hate dentists", "I had a bad experience" or "I've put off coming because I'm afraid".  We've had folks call in tears, just making the phone call to schedule!

It's real!  We believe you!  Outside of a bad experience, most people's dental anxiety comes from lack of control.  First, your having to trust what the dentist is telling you is the issue and because you didn't go to dental school you don't know if he/she is telling you the truth.  Some dentists don't take the time to explain what options you have, they just tell you "this is what I have to do".  Of course, there may only be one solution to the problem at hand, but walking a patient through a discussion helps patients overcome so much of their fear.

Secondly, you're lying prone, the dentist is hovering over you and his/her hands are filling up your mouth with a number of dental tools to boot!  You can't breath, talk and feel ultimately out of control. There is hope!

A good dentist gets to know his/her patients.  They discuss together what the current issues are, what options are available and what treatments are best for the patient.  There are times when a dentist just has to be blunt honest with a patient regarding the status of their oral health, but can be sensitive doing so.  Covering and educating the patient on what to expect during upcoming procedures can greatly reduce anxiety.  During treatment, checking with the patient to ensure they are doing ok and aren't feeling any pain is another way to relieve stress.

At Gilmore Dental, our entire philosophy revolves around the patient experience.  From the moment you get us on the phone, to your first visit and through your treatment needs, we work hard to ensure that you will leave having an entirely new perspective about your trips to the dentist.

It will never cost less or hurt less than it does today!

Testimonials:  
My best dental experience so far! Went in with issues with my teeth from a previous dentist and Dr. Gilmore and his staff were so friendly and welcoming and most of all honest. My experience getting my crown replaced was painless and a great dental experience. I highly recommend Gilmore Dental :)  Ashlie C.

A year a ago when I came to Dr. Gilmore, I had multiple problems. The doctor and his staff are simply the best! My healing is all done, and I am now able to order things off the menu that I haven't been able to eat for a long time. My smile is very pretty again. I was so lucky to have chosen Dr. Gilmore. My son is also very pleased with you and your whole staff. Thanks so much.  Joe B.

Dr. Gilmore helped me out with some great reconstructive work recently. I am so grateful for him and the time he spent on me- I really can't tell you enough great things about him. He was the perfect mix of acting very professionally while having a great sense of humor. Rosie W.

I have finally found a dentist I love. When you go to Dr Gilmore you don't feel like you are going to the dentist, they make you feel so welcome from the very beginning. I was terrified of the dentist but since I have been going here I have had more work done in the last year than I have my whole life. He even has a sense of humor, I haven't found a dentist yet with a good bed side manner. Dr Gilmore and his staff has it all. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. Wendy C.



No comments:

Post a Comment